Greetings! Buenos Dias! Buongiorno!
Welcome back to the 2019-2020 school year at the once again, “A” rated, George Washington Carver Elementary School! This years’ theme is “GOING FOR GOLD!” We are excited to welcome all of our “Olympic Learners” to a school year filled with golden opportunities anchored by meaningful work in the classroom, embedded with culturally responsive education, S.T.E.A.M infused learning experiences and social-emotional growth experiences to name a few!
We look forward to a very positive and productive Olympic year together! We extend a special, yearlong invitation to our families to join us at school activities and events whenever possible. We value your involvement and support in your child’s education! Your active participation as a potential Lead Parent, PTA member or Friends of Carver Board Member, is key to the success of all our Carver Kids. Please know that we highly value the home/school communication. It is vital and plays an integral role in each student’s success and the overall success of our school. We encourage you to contact us if/when the need arises, and to stay in the know about your child’s education, assignments, assessments, and school activities, as well as other events and happenings.
Again, we welcome you to Little Carver and to our wonderful learning community. Carver is a place alive with much energy, enthusiasm, and a high standard of excellence! It is, indeed, a place where opportunities abound for each child and the uniqueness that they each embody. Here’s to an AWESOME new school year as we work together to carry the Olympic torch and provide THE GOLD STANDARD as it relates to teaching and learning!
As we prepare for “Opening Day” we wanted to provide you with some important information for a successful first day. Please note the following:
- Front Gates open at 8:00 a.m. daily and there is very limited parking in the front of the school.
- We are a MANDATORY UNIFORM SCHOOL. ALL students must wear the proper uniform with tucked shirts and a belt every day. Spirit T-shirts may be worn on Fridays only. JEANS are never apart of the school uniform. Sweaters/Jackets must be solid red or sold blue. No other color variations.
- Please adhere to instructions from the police officer, security monitors and school crossing guard.
- ALL students may be walked to class on the first day of school. After the first day of school, 2nd-5th grade students must be dropped off at the front gate or at curbside. Prek-1st Grade parents may enter the school to drop students off at the classroom beginning at 8:10 a.m. Due to safety protocols, there will be no exceptions. Thank you in advance for your support.
- MEET & GREET: Please refer to our website for dates and times. GWCES.COM
SCHOOL UNIFORMS WILL NOT BE SOLD at the Meet & Greet. Spirit t-shirts, student planners, required grade level novels and workbooks and PTA memberships will be available for purchase. The YMCA will also be on hand to register for before and/or aftercare.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
- Breakfast Hours: 7:45 am- 8:15 am. Teachers pick students up from the cafeteria by 8:05/8:15 a.m. However, on the first day of school, the teachers will REMAIN in the classroom to receive students. Prek-1st grade doors will open at 8:05 a.m. on the first day and 2nd-5th grade doors will open at 8:15 a.m. on the first day.
Parents may not enter the cafeteria during breakfast or stand outside of the cafeteria doors. Except for PreK. Staff will be inside of the cafeteria daily to assist with safety and supervision until teachers pick up from the cafeteria beginning on the 2nd day of school 😊
- Classroom Instruction Hours: 8:20 a.m.-1:50 p.m. (PreK-1st) & 8:35-3:05 (2nd-5th) Italian IS 3:05/4:05.
- Main Office Hours: 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Dismissal Information: Private Bus Pick-Up is in front of school as well as parents who will PARK in the front of the school to pick up students. Pre-k students must be picked up from the Little Red School House, Kindergarten students must be picked up from room 03 and 1st grade students must be picked up from room 01. 2nd-5th grade parents must remain outside of the gate for the students to walk out.
- Prek-1st grade YMCA students are picked up by YMCA staff.
Curbside Drop-Off/Pick-Up Service is along Jefferson Street into the teacher’s parking lot. Please drive through the parking lot to have students hand delivered to you in your vehicles. Most preferred method.
On behalf of the faculty and staff at G. W. Carver Elementary, we are privileged to be a part of a community where parents, teachers, and students care for each other and strive to build positive relationships that support academic and social growth. If you have any questions as it relates to back to school or need general information, please contact the main office at 305-443-5286.
See you soon!
Patricia D. Fairclough, Ed.S